Keywords and Phrases
Chiral Metasurface; Metamaterial; Plasmonic Perfect Absorber; Purcell Effect; Spontaneous Emission; Structural Color Printing
”Plasmon polaritons or plasmons are a collective oscillation movement of free electrons in metal at optical frequencies. The frequency-dependent complex dielectric function makes the metal property at optical frequencies behave totally different with that at other spectral ranges with lower frequency such as infrared and microwaves. This novel property makes the so called plasmonics or nanoplasmonics a rapid growing research field over the past few years. Many innovative concepts and applications have been developed such as perfect absorber, structural color printing, and quantum emitter spontaneous emission enhancement.
In this dissertation two of the most important applications will be addressed. The first application is structure color printing and the other is to control the spontaneous emission rate of quantum emitters such as quantum dot. To achieve structural color printing, two difference nanostructures: V-groove arrays and square shaped arrays were designed as a fundamental perfect absorber structure unit for structural color printing. To control dipole emitter spontaneous emission, hyperbolic multilayers, plasmonic perfect absorbers and chiral metasurfaces were used to enhance the spontaneous emission through Purcell effect”--Abstract, page iv.
Winiarz, Jeffrey G.
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Ph. D. in Mechanical Engineering
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Realizing structural color generation with aluminum plasmonic v-groove metasurfaces
- All-metal structural color printing based on aluminum plasmonic metasurfaces
- Enhanced quantum dot spontaneous emission with multilayer metamaterial nanostructures
- Scaling law of Purcell factor in hyperbolic metamaterial cavities with dipole excitation
- Enhanced quantum dots spontaneous emission with metamaterial perfect absorbers
- Selective chiral spontaneous emission of quantum dots on chiral metasurface
xiii, 113 pages
© 2019 Wei Wang, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
Electronic OCLC #
Wang, Wei, "Plasmonic metamaterial for structural color printing and spontaneous emission control" (2019). Doctoral Dissertations. 3116.