"Trickle bed reactors (TBR), as typical packed bed reactors (PBR), are widely used in various fields. Very limited information regarding the flow behaviors, hydrodynamic, and mathematical models in extrudate catalyst shapes, such as cylinders, trilobes, and quadrilobes, can be found in literatures because the major focus was on spherical shape. Therefore, a hybrid pressure drops and liquid holdup phenomenological model for extrudate catalyst shapes was developed based on two-phase volume averaged equations, which showed high accuracy against experimental data. The maldistribution and dynamic liquid holdup were investigated in quadrilobe catalyst using gamma-ray computed tomography. A pseudo-3D empirical model was developed and compared with deep neural network predictions. Both models were in good agreement with experimental data. The accretion locations of heavy metal contaminants entrained with flow were tracked by the dynamic radioactive particle tracking technique in the packed beds of sphere, cylinder, trilobe, and quadrilobe, respectively. Kernel density estimator was used to indicate the accretion probability distribution, showing that pressure drop played an important role in heavy metal accretions. CFD simulations of random packed trilobe catalyst bed were conducted to obtain the local information and were validated by experimental data.
Moving bed reactors (MBR), as a relatively new type of reactor, encounter many challenges due to the bed expansion because of the concurrent gas-liquid upflow. DEM simulation was used to generate expanded bed. A porosity distribution correlation was developed and implemented in CFD simulations to investigate the hydrodynamics"--Abstract, page iv.
Al-Dahhan, Muthanna H.
Smith, Joseph D.
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Ph. D. in Chemical Engineering
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Maldistribution and dynamic liquid holdup quantification of quadrilobe catalyst in a trickle bed reactor using gamma-ray computed tomography: Pseudo-3D modelling and empirical modelling using deep neural network
- Development of a hybrid pressure drop and liquid holdup phenomenological model for trickle bed reactors based on two-phase volume averaged equations
- Accretion of heavy metal contaminants entrained with flow into a trickle bed hydrotreating reactor packed with different catalyst shapes using newly developed noninvasive dynamic radioactive particle tracking
- Experimental and mathematical modelling investigation of hydrodynamics in trickle bed reactors of random packed trilobe catalyst bed
- Porosity distribution model and hydrodynamics in moving bed reactors: CFD simulation and experiments
xxi, 215 pages
© 2021 Binbin Qi, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
Electronic OCLC #
Qi, Binbin, "Investigation of packed bed and moving bed reactors with benchmarking using advanced measurement and computational techniques" (2021). Doctoral Dissertations. 2980.