Keywords and Phrases
Adsorption; Atomic layer deposition; Catalysis; Hydrogenation; Nanoparticles; Single atom
"Atomic layer deposition (ALD) has been widely used for thin film coating and metal nanoparticles (NPs) preparation. In this report, the applications of ALD prepared nanostructured materials in catalysis were examined.
Highly dispersed Pt monometallic catalysts with different substrates and multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) supported Pt-Co bimetallic catalysts were synthesized by ALD for selective hydrogenation of α, β-unsaturated aldehydes to unsaturated alcohols (UA). Pt/MWCNTs showed the highest selectivity of UA in selective hydrogenation of citral, as compared to Pt/SiO2, Pt/ALD-Al2O3, and Pt/γ-Al2O3. After adding Co, the highest selectivity was achieved with high conversion in hydrogenation of both cinnamaldehyde and citral over an optimized Pt-Co/MWCNTs catalyst.
Highly dispersed Pt-Co/MWCNTs bimetallic catalysts were also used for hydrogenolysis of 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) to 2,5-dimethylfuran (DMF) reaction. High yield of DMF ( > 90%) was achieved in hydrogenolysis of HMF over an optimized Pt-Co/MWCNTs catalyst after 8 hr of reaction time under mild conditions.
Fe NPs and single atoms were deposited on various substrates via ALD. Fe/SiO2 NPs showed a high activity in CO oxidation reaction with a long-term stability at high temperature. The TiO2 NPs deposited with Fe single atoms showed the highest activity and had an up to six-fold photocatalytic activity enhancement over pure TiO2. CeO2 ALD and ZrO2 ALD were also applied on TiO2 to boost the photocatalytic activity of TiO2, and both two methods improved the photocatalytic efficiency of TiO2 significantly"--Abstract, page iv.
Ludlow, Douglas K.
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Ph. D. in Chemical Engineering
National Science Foundation (U.S.)
Petroleum Research Fund
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Selective hydrogenation of citral over supported Pt catalysts: Insight into support effects
- Atomic layer deposited Pt-Co bimetallic catalysts for selective hydrogenation of Î±, Î²-unsaturated aldehydes to unsaturated alcohols
- Hydrogenolysis of 5-hydroxymethylfurfural to 2,5-dimethylfuran over supported Pt-Co bimetallic catalyst under mild conditions
- Synthesis of highly dispersed and highly stable supported Au-Pt bimetallic catalysts by a two-step method
- Significant photocatalytic performance enhancement of TiO2 by CeO2 atomic layer deposition
- Significant improvement of TiO2 photocatalytic activity through a controllable ZrO2 deposition
- Highly active and stable Fe/SiO2 catalyst synthesized by atomic layer deposition for CO oxidation
- Supported iron single atoms synthesized via atomic layer deposition
xvii, 251 pages
© 2018 Xiaofeng Wang, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
Electronic OCLC #
Wang, Xiaofeng, "Atomic layer deposition prepared nanostructured materials for various catalytic reactions" (2018). Doctoral Dissertations. 2901.