Keywords and Phrases
Confined nanorod; DNA dynamic simulation; Microfluidic channels; Modeling and simulation; Nanoparticle distribution
"The behavior of a typical nanorod particle in microscale flows was theoretically investigated, considering the effect of the wall on the rotational and translation motions of the non-spherical particle. Initially, a systematic method using Brownian dynamics simulation of the rotational motion of nanorod was performed to obtain the average orientation distribution of a nanorod in various range of Peclet number and position from the confining wall. Subsequently, the results of the angle distributions simulation were employed to generate a universal mathematical model for the particle orientation distribution, which our model of concentration distribution of high aspect ratio nanorods in the microchannel was later built on. We identified three different rod-wall interaction mechanisms in the entire rages of Pe. Then, the model was extended to study low and high aspect ratio ellipsoidal nanorod particle separation in a Field Flow Fractionation channel. The model can describe the aspect ratio dependent elution behavior.
In addition, Brownian dynamics simulation of microchannel separation of differently sized DNA chains driven by electrophoretic properties of DNA in an electric field was studied. COMSOL Multiphysics®, a popular science and engineering simulation software based on the finite element method, was used to perform the bead-spring dynamic simulation of the semi-flexible chain. The simulation results for DNA migration in an array of entropic traps were validated with the previous findings"--Abstract, page iv.
Neogi, P. (Partho), 1951-
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
Ph. D. in Chemical Engineering
University of Missouri Research Board
Missouri University of Science and Technology. Opportunities for Undergraduate Research Experiences
Missouri University of Science and Technology. Center for Advancing Faculty Excellence
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- The effect of weak confinement on the orientation of nanorods under shear flows
- A model for the depletion layer prediction in a dilute suspension of rigid rod-like particles under shear flows in the entire range of Peclet numbers
- The shape effect on the retention behaviors of ellipsoidal particles in field-flow fractionation: Theoretical model derivation considering the steric-entropic mode
- Computational studies of DNA separations in micro-fabricated devices: Review of general approaches and recent applications
- Dynamic simulation of a polymer molecule using COMSOL Multiphysics: DNA separation in a microchannel
xiii, 153 pages
© 2019 Saman Monjezi, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
Electronic OCLC #
Monjezi, Saman, "Modeling and simulation of micro/nano-rod distribution in micro channel flows" (2019). Doctoral Dissertations. 2786.