"This dissertation investigates both of the frequency domain and time domain turbo equalization with multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) fading channels for radio frequency and underwater acoustic communications. First, a low complexity frequency domain turbo equalization (FDTE) is proposed for the MIMO systems with zero padding (ZP) or cyclic prefix (CP) inserted between the transmitted data blocks and its performance is tested on the real-world UWA communications experiments.
Second, as high speed communication system requires efficient bandwidth usage and power consumption, CP or ZP is not transmitted as auxiliary information. An inter-block interference cancelation and CP reconstruction algorithm is developed to re-arrange the channel matrix into a block diagonal one. This improvement makes the FDTE effectively detects the continuous data stream from the high speed UWA communications and its performance has been verified by processing data collected from the UWA communications experiment.
Finally, a low complexity soft interference cancelation (SIC) time domain turbo equalizer for MIMO systems with high level modulation is proposed. Compared with the conventional linear or nonlinear turbo equalizers, the proposed SIC turbo equalizer can theoretically reach the bound set up by the ideal match filter and its bit error rate (BER) performance from Monte Carlo simulation achieves a lower error floor as well as a more rapid convergence speed."--Abstract, page iv.
Kosbar, Kurt Louis
Grant, Steven L.
Liu, Xiaoqing Frank
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Ph. D. in Electrical Engineering
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Low-complexity turbo detection for single-carrier low-density parity-check-coded multiple-input multiple-output underwater acoustic communications
- Frequency-domain turbo detection for no-CP single-carrier MIMO underwater acoustic communications
- Single-carrier frequency-domain turbo equalization without cyclic prefix or zero padding for underwater acoustic communications
- Low complexity soft-interference cancelation turbo equalization for MIMO systems with multilevel modulations
- Low complexity soft-interference cancelation turbo equalization for MIMO systems with multilevel modulations [same title]
xii, 142 pages
© 2014 Longbao Wang, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
MIMO systems -- Design
Wireless communication systems -- Design
Underwater acoustics -- Mathematical models
Feedback control systems
Electronic OCLC #
Wang, Longbao, "Turbo equalization for multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) wireless communication systems" (2014). Doctoral Dissertations. 2317.