"In the design of new products and systems, the mitigation of potential failures is very important. The sooner in a product's design mitigation can be performed, the lower the cost and easier to implement those mitigations become. However, currently, most mitigations strategies rely on the expertise of the engineers designing a product, and while models and for failure modes do exist to help, there are no guidelines for performing product changes to reduce risk. To help alleviate this, the risk mitigation strategy taxonomy is created from an empirical collection of mitigation strategies used in industry for failure mitigation, creating a consistent set of definitions for electromechanical risk mitigation strategies. By storing mitigation data in this consistent format, the data can be used to evaluate and compare different mitigation strategies. Applying this, the Generated Risk Event Effect Neutralization (GREEN) method is used to generate mitigation strategies for a product during the conceptual design of the product, where changes are the easiest to implement and cost the least. The GREEN method then compares and selects the best strategy based on the popularity, likelihood change, and consequence change that result from implementing the strategies"--Abstract, page iv.
Grantham Lough, Katie, 1979-
Thomas, Jeffery S., 1971-
Murray, Susan L.
Dharani, Lokeswarappa R.
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Ph. D. in Mechanical Engineering
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Step toward risk mitigation during conceptual product design: component selection for risk reduction
- Towards failure free design: an analysis of risk mitigation communication
- Mitigation strategy taxonomy: organizing and classifying risk mitigation strategies
- Generated risk event effect neutralization: identifying and evaluating risk mitigation strategies during conceptual design
- Failure prevention through the cataloging of successful risk mitigation strategies
xv, 176 pages
© 2012 Daniel adam Krus, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
New products -- Design
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Record
Krus, Daniel A., "The risk mitigation strategy taxonomy and generated risk event effect neutralization method" (2012). Doctoral Dissertations. 1959.