Keywords and Phrases
Carrier frequency offset; Frequency domain
"This dissertation investigates single carrier frequency-domain equalization (SC-FDE) with multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) channels for radio frequency (RF) and underwater acoustic (UWA) wireless communications. It consists of five papers, selected from a total of 13 publications. Each paper focuses on a specific technical challenge of the SC-FDE MIMO system. The first paper proposes an improved frequency-domain channel estimation method based on interpolation to track fast time-varying fading channels using a small amount of training symbols in a large data block. The second paper addresses the carrier frequency offset (CFO) problem using a new group-wise phase estimation and compensation algorithm to combat phase distortion caused by CFOs, rather than to explicitly estimate the CFOs. The third paper incorporates layered frequency-domain equalization with the phase correction algorithm to combat the fast phase rotation in coherent communications. In the fourth paper, the frequency-domain equalization combined with the turbo principle and soft successive interference cancelation (SSIC) is proposed to further improve the bit error rate (BER) performance of UWA communications. In the fifth paper, a bandwidth-efficient SC-FDE scheme incorporating decision-directed channel estimation is proposed for UWA MIMO communication systems. The proposed algorithms are tested by extensive computer simulations and real ocean experiment data. The results demonstrate significant performance improvements in four aspects: improved channel tracking, reduced BER, reduced computational complexity, and enhanced data efficiency"--Abstract, page iv.
Zheng, Y. Rosa
Stanley, R. Joe
Grant, Steven L.
Madria, Sanjay Kumar
Moss, Randy Hays, 1953-
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Ph. D. in Electrical Engineering
National Science Foundation (U.S.)
United States. Office of Naval Research
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Improved frequency-domain channel estimation and equalization for MIMO wireless communications
- Channel equalization and symbol detection for single carrier MIMO systems in the presence of multiple carrier frequency offsets
- Layered frequency-domain equalization for single carrier MIMO systems with multiple carrier frequency offsets
- Frequency-domain turbo equalization with soft-successive interference cancellation for single carrier MIMO underwater acoustic communications
- Bandwidth-efficient frequency-domain equalization for single carrier multiple-input multiple-output underwater acoustic communications
xi, 126 pages
© 2010 Jian Zhang, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
Underwater acoustic telemetry
Wireless communication systems
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Record
Zhang, Jian, "Robust frequency-domain turbo equalization for multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) wireless communications" (2010). Doctoral Dissertations. 1951.