Keywords and Phrases
Differential cross sections
"There has been impressive progress in the area of theoretical treatments of electron impact ionization (e,2e) of atoms and molecules in the last decade. Most recently, low to intermediate incident electron energies have been reported for molecular systems. In this dissertation, different theoretical models will be used to calculate the fully differential cross section (FDCS) for (e,2e) processes for low to intermediate incident electron energies for a variety of final state electron angles and energies for the diatomic molecules H₂ and N₂, the triatomic molecule H₂O, and the biomolecule HCOOH.
In addition, there has been a large amount of interest in diatomic molecules inspired by the possibility of observing an interference effect due to the two molecular centers playing the role of a double slit. In this dissertation, the interference effect for the diatomic molecules H₂ and N₂ will be examined.
Finally, there is presently considerable experimental effort directed towards measuring the FDCS for a specific molecular orientation. Most recently, the FDCS for single ionization of aligned hydrogen molecules was measured by Alexander Dorn's experimental group in Heidelberg, Germany. These measurements were successful for the first time to observe features of the FDCS for different alignment of H₂. Theoretical calculations for aligned H₂ will be presented. These calculations were able to obtain good agreement with the experimental data especially in the binary peak region"--Abstract, page iv.
Madison, Don H.
Schulz, Michael, 1959-
Hale, Barbara N.
Ph. D. in Physics
National Science Foundation (U.S.)
Saudi Ministry of Higher Education's King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz Scholarship
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Journal article titles appearing in thesis/dissertation
- Atomic and molecular signatures for charged particle ionization
- Triple differential cross sections for the electron-impact ionization of H₂ molecules for equal and unequal outgoing electron energies
- Deep interference minima in non-coplanar triple differential cross sections for the electron-impact ionization of small atoms and molecules
- Electron impact ionization cross sections of H₂ for low energy outgoing electrons from 1 eV to 10 eV
- (e,2e) ionization of helium and the hydrogen molecule: signature of two-centre interference effects
- (e,2e) study of two-centre interference effects in the ionization of N₂
- Low-energy symmetric coplanar and symmetric non-coplanar (e,2e) studies from the 3a₁ state of H₂O
- Dynamical (e,2e) studies of formic acid
- Recent theoretical progress in treating electron impact ionization of molecules
- Search for interference effect in electron impact ionization of aligned hydrogen molecules
- Five-fold differential cross sections for ground-state ionization of aligned H₂ by electron impact
xxi, 201 pages
© 2010 Ola Al-Hagan, All rights reserved.
Dissertation - Open Access
Cross sections (Nuclear physics)
Electron impact ionization
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Record
Al-Hagan, Ola, "Theoretical study of electron impact-ionization of molecules" (2010). Doctoral Dissertations. 1898.