"The Hanyang Iron and Steel Works is located in the city of Hanyang, Hupei Province, inland on the mighty Yangste Kiang, a distance of one thousand seventy-five kilometers from Shanghai. The Works is at the junction of the Yangste and Han Rivers and covers several acres. The Works was established by the Viceroy Tchan and was to have been located at Shanghai, but His Excellency, the Viceroy, was transferred to Wuchang, so he decided to locate the Works in Hanyang - just on the opposite bank of the Yangste, from Wuchang ... The Works originally consisted of two blast furnaces and in 1893, two five-ton Bessemer converters were installed. The new engineers remodeled these two blast furnaces - increasing the capacity from sixty tons each to one hundred twenty tons each; they also put in one ten-ton Siemens Martins open-hearth furnace, put down a rail mill, a one-hundred-centimeter blooming mill, a ninety-centimeter reversing plate mill, and built a foundry"--Location and History of Works, pages 1-2.
Materials Science and Engineering
Professional Degree in Metallurgical Engineering
Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy
25 pages, 1 plate
© 1910 A. J. Seltzer, All rights reserved.
Thesis - Open Access
Blast furnaces -- Design and construction
Humidity -- Control
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Recordhttp://merlin.lib.umsystem.edu/record=b2610029~S5
Seltzer, Andrew Jackson, "The design and installation of an apparatus for dehydrating the air which is used in the blast furnaces of the Hanyang Iron and Steel Works and other suggested improvements, Hanyang, Hupei, China" (1910). Professional Degree Theses. 161.