The effects of the disinfectant's free chlorine and monochloramine have been studied on thin copper films using the electrochemical quartz crystal microbalance, scanning electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction. It has been found that after twenty-four hours of immersion, the hypochlorite and the monochloramine both convert some of the copper into cuprous oxide. However, after immersion in monochloramine, tiny pinholes in the copper develop on the electrode and the gold substrate is visible underneath. This leads to suggest that while free chlorine may oxidize copper, monochloramine will oxidize copper and can cause pitting in the metal.
Abington, Ryan C., "Effects of Monochloramine and Free Chlorine on Copper Dissolution in Drinking Water" (2007). Opportunities for Undergraduate Research Experience Program (OURE). 205.