Purpose of Investigation
To determine the best composition of a straight carbon drill steel for drilling in granite.
Method of Investigation
- Obtain several brands of standard grade drill steel. Determine analysis and transformation points of each.
- Determine that heat treatment which gives the best drilling qualities in granite.
- Determine the micro-structure of such steel.
- Obtain steel of a certain specified composition considered best for the conditions and compare the results on this steel with the results obtained on the market products.
- Design of heating furnace for forging steels.
It will be observed from what follows that this outline was not rigidly adhered to. It may seem that the main issues have been evaded. In fact, the work seemed to boil down to the parts, namely, (1) heat treatment, and (2) shape of bits, without particular stress being put on the carbon content of the steels used. Many of the steels run were not a straight carbon steel at all, but were alloy steels"--Outline of proposed drill steel investigation, page 1.
Forbes, Carroll Ralph
Mining and Nuclear Engineering
M.S. in Mining Engineering
Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy
iii, 35 pages
© 1922 Richard J. Stroup and Kurt H. de Cousser, All rights reserved.
Thesis - Open Access
Blast furnaces -- Design and construction
Steel -- Analysis
Steel -- Heat treatment
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Record
Stroup, Richard J. and de Cousser, Kurt H., "Drill steel investigation" (1922). Masters Theses. 4756.