“The Little Beaver Bridge is situated on the A. & P. R. R., 3 ¾ S. W. of Rolla it is built on the “Howe Truss” plan and spans a valley through which flows the “Little Beaver Creek” - it has two approaches (stringers supported by trestles), the length of the northern one is 38 ft., while that of the southern one is 35’5”. The bridge is composed of 5 spans and is supported on 6 piers; the length of the bridge proper is 687’ 2”, with the abutments it is 760’7”. The piers are of sandstone and have a batir, from about one half of their height to the top, of one inch to the foot. In consequence of the comparatively small size of the used in their construction, the Railroad Company has commenced to tear them down in order to erect larger piers. The dimensions of the new piers (for the bottom course) will be 13’1” x 30’ instead of 7’6” x 24’3” as in the old one - the batir will however in the new piers start from the second course. All the timber used in this bridge (except the ties which are oak) is white pine"--pages 5-6.
Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering
Professional Degree in Civil Engineering
Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy
12 pages, 1 plate
© 1876 J. E. McGrath, All rights reserved.
Thesis - Open Access
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Truss bridges -- Design and construction -- Missouri
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Record
McGrath, James E., "Beaver bridge" (1876). Professional Degree Theses. 337.