"The Iron deposit locally Known as "Bucklands Bank" is situated in the south half of Sec. 20. T. 37 R. 8 west Phelps County Missouri, about four (4) and a half (1/2) miles west of Rolla and on the line of the Atlantic and Pacific R.R.
It was opened by Sen. T. C. Buckland of St. Louis in 18--, but subsequently was leased to Mr. Wm. James of St. James, who shipped the ore for treatment at the Ozark Furnace five and a half (5 1/2) miles further westward on the railroad.
The deposit is classified by Schmidt* as a disturbed Specular ore deposit, that is, it is an aggregation of ores, which in their former state lay parallel to the enclosing rock and consequently forming a layer between any stratified or foliated rock, but which has since been disturbed by various causes"--page 1.
Mining and Nuclear Engineering
Professional Degree in Mining Engineering
Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy
Phelps County, Missouri
© 1876 Oscar Garvens, All rights reserved.
Thesis - Open Access
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Iron ores -- Missouri -- Phelps County
Ore deposits -- Missouri -- Phelps County
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Record
Garvens, Oscar, "Iron ores and associates at Buckland's Bank, Sec. 20. T. 37. R 8, W, Phelps Co. Missouri" (1876). Professional Degree Theses. 185.