"The mining laboratory and experimental mine at the Missouri School of Mines was opened in 1913. At a suitable location, on the site of an old dolomite quarry, one and one half miles southwest of town a tunnel was started into the hillside and the necessary plant erected. This plant consisted of a fifty horse-power Erie Iron Works boiler of the modified locomotive type, and an Ingersoll Rand type 10 single stage duplex air compressor of a capacity of one hundred cubic feet of free air per minute. This plant was in operation during the fall months of each year when mining laboratory work was given, and in the summer of 1918 a special training detachment of the army carried on experimental work there. The plant admirably met the requirements of these earlier years but as the classes increased in size the air capacity was found to be insufficient, that is only one large or two small drills could be operated at a time. This was not sufficient to allow the students to complete the course in the allotted time, so the present plant was planned and constructed"--page 1.
Forbes, Carroll Ralph
Mining and Nuclear Engineering
M.S. in Mining Engineering
Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy
iii, 15 pages, 5 plates
© 1922 Robert K. Stroup, All rights reserved.
Thesis - Open Access
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Mining machinery -- Testing
School of Mines and Metallurgy
University of Missouri
Print OCLC #
Electronic OCLC #
Link to Catalog Recordhttp://laurel.lso.missouri.edu/record=b2609486~S5
Stroup, Robert Knox, "Design and construction of the experimental mine" (1922). Masters Theses. 4755.