In response to our Call for Papers, authors from 31 countries responded including Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Czechoslavakia, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, USSR, Venezuela, and Yugoslavia, making this Conference a truly international one. The large number of papers received were reviewed by a panel of twenty international experts.
The Conference papers and state-of-the-art reports have been printed in two volumes which will be issued before the Conference. The third volume containing reports, discussions, authors' replies, speeches, and special programs will be issued after the Conference. This first volume contains 147 papers, and the second volume contains 103 papers and 9 state-of-the-art reports.
The Organizing Committee was always ready to assist in matters of organization. In the initial stages of planning, guidance was obtained from A.S. Veletsos, W.O. Liam Finn, and Norbert 0. Schmidt. The University of Missouri-Rolla staff has been very cooperative throughout, especially personnel of the Engineering Continuing Education unit. In addition, our secretaries, particularly Anna Hubbard, worked hard to keep pace with the paperwork associated with such a venture. Their work is especially appreciated since everyone knows how difficult it would be to handle such a monumental work without the active cooperation of these people.
The timely printing of the proceedings has been made possible through the efforts of personnel at UMR and UMC Centralized Printing Offices. Without the expertise and technical assistance of these individuals, the proceedings would not exist in their present form. We now look forward to a successful Conference in St. Louis during the week of March 11-15, 1991.
January 3, 1991
Shamsher Prakash, Editor and Conference Chairman
Browse the contents of 1991 - Second International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering & Soil Dynamics:
- Other Documents
- Session 1: Static and Dynamic Engineering Soil Parameters and Constitutive Relations of Soils
- Session 2: Model Testing in Cyclic Loading
- Session 3: Deformation and Liquefaction of Sands, Silts, Gravels, and Clays
- Session 4: Dynamic Earth Pressures and Seismic Design of Earth Retaining Structures
- Session 5: Soil Structure Interaction Under Dynamic Loading
- Session 6: Soil Dynamics and Offshore Geotechnology
- Session 7: Stability of Slopes and Earth Dams Under Earthquakes
- Session 8: Soil Amplification During Earthquake and Microzonation
- Session 9: Seismology: Predicting Strong Ground Motion for Design
- Session 10: Wave Propagation in Soils
- Session 11: Dynamic Characteristics of Vibration Sources other than Earthquakes
- Special Session: Loma Prieta Earthquake of October 17, 1989: Invited Papers
- Contributed Papers
- State of the Art Papers (SOAP)
- Panel Reports